Specializing in pre-1898 Antique Firearms
Q & A Database
·Submit A Question
·Browse Questions
·Search Questions
For Sale
The Bulletin
·Current Issue
About Ron Gabel
·Ron Gabel's Profile
·Parts Dealers
·Heston's Speech
·Contact Us
·Links Page
·Terms of Use
Please donate to help cover our costs

Question and Answer - View Question

Go Back

Here is Ron Gabel's answer to question number 11174


Mr Gabel, I have inherited a double barrel front loading flintlock rifle. We know it was used by our family in the Civil War but my grandmother always said it was older. The only name on the rifle is Gillespie in fancy lettering. The barrel is very long, the gun comes completely apart. I don't want to sell it, just looking for information. I apologize, I am gun-dumb. Thank you for your consideration. Julie Solomon


You state you have a double barrel flintlock rifle marked Gillespie. I assume since you say rifle that it has rifled, not smooth bores. Also you say flintlock, which puts the gun quite early as most guns of this type were of the percussion ignition system. Since you do not comment on any visible barrel proof marks I will assume the gun is of American manufacture. If all these assumptions are correct I would guess your double barrel flintlock rifle was made in Henderson County, North Carolina by either Harvey, Matthew or Philip Gillespie.

Submitted By: Julie Solomon On: 8/25/2008 2:07:04 PM

Copyright © Expert Computer Solutions 1997-2019
Report any problems with this website here.